Wednesday 27 April 2011

Brailsford

My personal challenge for this round of Miss Jenny Matlock's alphabe-Thursday is to post about a location within the borders of my own county of Derbyshire, UK, for each letter of the alphabet.


Each time, X will mark the spot.



B is for Brailsford.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mainly, I think of Brailsford as a place to travel through, as the A52 runs right through the middle of the village and, when I'm here, I'm normally on my way to somewhere else. So, I decided it was time to stop and have a better look!

 Main road or no, it's not unusual to get stuck behind a tractor, with or without a load.


The village institute provides a meeting place for local community groups, such as the WI and the Parent and Toddler Group. As a child, I remember that Dad was always particularly careful to observe the 30mph speed limit through Brailsford, as it had a bit of a reputation and the local Bobbies used to hide behind the village institute hedge with their speed radar gun!


Next door to the Institute is a small commercial craft centre which includes a saddler, iron worker, art gallery and furniture maker. 


The houses in the village are mostly brick built. Seven miles down the road is the market town of Ashbourne, beyond which the character of the villages changes to being mainly limestone built. Many of the gardens in Brailsford are beautifully kept and I love the detail above the windows.


Brailsford has its own school, tucked away down a narrow entry. From the front, it is not a particularly attractive building, but around the back it has a nicely laid out playground and access to the field next door.



Notice the log built train :)


A short distance away from the main road, a small modern housing estate has been built...


...including a new Medical Centre.


Further out again is the church, which is actually about half a mile from the village. Built in the 11th and 12th centuries, with later additions, the church is dedicated to All Saints and is shared with the nearby, but much smaller, village of Ednaston, which may explain its slightly 'out of the way' location. The probability is that it was built on the site of an earlier Saxon church which had been constructed on the border of the lands of two Saxon lords; Earl Waltheof, who held two carucates of taxable land in Brailsford and Toki, who held three such carucates in Ednaston.


Apparently, there is a really good example of a Saxon cross in the churchyard, but I missed it! DRAT! I'm gonna have to go back.

21 comments:

  1. I still have to photograph a cross for the scavenger hunt. In fact, it's the 27th and I still have seven things to snap - I haven't done very well at it this month, but I will finish it on time!

    I've driven through Brailsford so many times on my way to Derby Uni - glad those days are over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely trip around this village. Even the main road through it has a charm of its own. Wonder if those Bobbies are still so active on their beat? I really enjoyed this, H! I love to 'explore' the places one usually just passes through :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that trip around your Derbyshire B - you could have chosen Breaston where my niece lives - it is quite a pretty village too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we've driven through Brailsford a few times but never stopped to explore. It looks an interesting village and the church looks lovely. I'm looking forward to seeing which places you will chose for your alphabet challenge:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would probably be worth exploring a lot of places that we tend always to drive straight through. Brailsford, whilst not being as picturesque as some Derbyshire villages, nonetheless looks quite pleasant and quiet, despite the main road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my site and giving me a real connection to the UK, this week! I'm all prepared to get up really early to watch the wedding on television! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures of Brailsford.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have done a WONDERFUL job on your "B" post! Brailsford sound like a nice place to live!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful post, and the photos are outstanding. You've done well..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love small towns and country churches. This is my kind of place! Does Derbyshire realize that they will have a huge increase in tourists because of your blog? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. JDaniel would love climbing on the train! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've probably driven through Brailsford without realising! The A52 also goes through Boston where I live.

    Would love to see the Saxon cross. You definitely need to go back :-P

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I saw this was you posting, I was all excited to continue on the tour! Brailsford looks really charming. I like the way they painted a roadway on the playground, too.

    The school did look forbidding. It looks very old as well!

    Thanks for being our tour guide again!

    This is going to be a wonderful round of A-T!

    Hurray up letter C! Can't wait to see where you take us next!

    Thanks for linking.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  13. This challenge you've given yourself is providing you with quite the adventure and the learning experience... and I'm enjoying the ride... with this stop in Brailsford for B. That log train is very special!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great glimpse of Brailsford. Can't wait to see what you come up with for "c"!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks as a very cute little town. I love driving through village and small towns the houses are often so old and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your personal challenge, I missed last week so I'll have to take a look. Looking forward to touring more of your country~ Love that log train & playground!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was so interesting and I like your idea of showing us different places using the alphabet. Won't X and Z be kind of tough? Hmmmmm...I wonder if next time I could do something like that with Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a "virtual" friend who lives in Ednaaston, in The Cottage, I was looking to see if you had spotted her home, but maybe not. I'm now following you, as a family we enjoyed a couple of short breaks near Ashbourne a few years ago, lovely part of the country.
    joy

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like such a charming town! I can't believe how old the church is. Where I live in Los Angeles, a building that dates back to the 1850s is incredibly old!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful beautiful place! I am starting to yearn to be there! I love the log train - too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Catching up on posts after our Easter...sure didn't want to miss your next stop in Derbyshire...the churches and cemeteries with all the daffodils & ancient grave markers beckon to me...such beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete