Arnside is a small holiday resort on the shores of the estuary formed where the river Kent enters Morecambe Bay. From here the nearest of the South Lakes Peninsulas is clear across the water, with Grange over Sands just visible on the hillside.
The estuary is straddled by the Kent Viaduct, carrying the railway line across to Grange over Sands, Ulverston and eventually, Barrow in Furness which lies on the tip of the larger peninsula.
The pier at Arnside was built by the Ulverston and Lancaster Railway Company as a wharf for sea faring vessels after the construction of the viaduct had blocked access to the port at Milnthorp.
In 1934, the end section of the pier was destroyed by a storm and had to be rebuilt by the London Midland and Scottish Railway Co, but in 1964, the pier changed ownership, being bought by Arnside Parish Council for the princely sum of £100.
The events of January 1983 might have given them cause to regret the purchase, when yet another storm destroyed the causeway. This time, the pier was rebuilt using a combination of public subscription and grants from both local government and NGOs, and was officially re-opened on April 12th 1984.
You remember the initial cost of purchase?
The rebuilding cost £25,000.