Wednesday 14 November 2012

Rydal Hall campsite Oct 2012



Rydal Hall, just above the beautiful village of Rydal in the Lake District, is a Carlisle Diocesan Christian Centre and Community, open to all for conferences, retreats and as a guest house. In the grounds, there is also a campsite and, when Ben and I journeyed up to visit Mark for a long weekend in October, I decided to try it out.


After checking in at reception, I was directed down the drive and over the beck (the same one in which we went gorge walking back in early summer). This lower section includes a small building known as The Grot, a grade 2 listed building which was restored between 2005-7, returning it to how it would have been 350 years ago, when this spot was visited by the romantic poet William Wordsworth.

The waterfall itself was painted by Derby artist Joseph Wright in 1795.


At the far end of the bridge over the beck, is this gate which opens onto the camp site. The point of the gate is to keep the sheep from wandering - wandering out of the camp site that is. They graze the fields around the hall and amble through the camping areas at will. 


This was the view from the door of my tent when I emerged on Sunday; a beautiful bright day...


with the trees gently steaming in the early morning sun.

5 comments:

  1. So beautiful. I love that spot. Brave of you to camp at this time of year though. You must have good thermals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely photos! I camped in June once and was freezing so as jennyfreckles says, you must have some good thermals!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous place. Your view? Magnificently captured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thought of camping fills me with horror Helen. I do so envy people ( like you and like my son) who find it enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be a very beautiful area ! I have seen a little thanks to "Escape to the Country" !

    ReplyDelete