Thursday 29 November 2012

Pike O' Stickle and down



From Harrison Stickle, we dropped down and then began the climb up to Pike O' Stickle.


Looking back to Harrison Stickle.


The unmistakable shape of Skiddaw in the distance.


Our third, and final, summit of the day at 709m, with the inevitable cairn.


After a short pause on the summit, we began the descent, topping Loft Crag which is, surprisingly, the second sleeping giant, its position blocking the view of Pike O' Stickle from the valley floor.


We paused to admire the beautiful markings on the fleece of this Herdwick, before skirting the top of Raven Crag...


and crossing Dungeon Ghyll to return to the car park.

The weather was perfect (sunny, but cool) and the views stunning. I would recommend this walk to anyone who feels able.

It was a day to treasure in the memory banks.

5 comments:

  1. Helen - you must be one of the fittesty people in Blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful walk! When I show people my photos of my (less strenuous) walks in the Peaks District in September I like to tell them that when they see a photo of a valley, know that I walked to the high spot above and that when they see a photo of a high point, know that I'd been there too. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great views and a lovely walk. Such a cute Herdy picture too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stumbling across cairns in the mountains, along forest trails, and along the rocky beaches. I love this set of posts and all the beauty you captured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stickle! Pike! I love these words! What a gorgeous walk!

    ReplyDelete