Bradford City Hall began life, in 1873, as Bradford Town hall, but was upgraded in recognition of the status of this ever growing conurbation. The building was designed by architects Lockwood and Mawon in respnse to a competition to design a town hall which would rival those of Leeds and Halifax.
It was intended to be Venetian in character but was built by the Shipley firm of John Ives & Son. Inspired by the town hall in Florence, the bell tower reaches a height of 220 feet and contains a peal of 13 bells which mark the quarter hours. They weigh 17 tons and play carols in December.
The clock was added in 1937.