Friday 31 December 2010

Equatorial Crafts

Yet another passageway into Ashbourne's lower market place, begins here, by the Millennium clock which was erected to celebrate the turn of the millennium (wow, is that REALLY eleven years ago?) and officially opened by the Mayor of Ashbourne on 17th March 2000.


Turn round the corner by Pet's Pad and follow the narrow, cobbled jitty down towards Victoria Square.


In Victoria Square, you can find Equatorial Crafts; one of many establishments which contribute to Ashbourne's status as a Fairtrade town. Set out over two floors, this shop is packed with crafts from Latin America; all sourced by the owner who makes frequent journeys out to trade with local suppliers. Here, you can buy clothes, bags, jewellery, embroidery and a range of other knick knacks; mostly brightly coloured, mostly well made and all very distinct in their ethnicity. If you're in the area, it's well worth a visit!

4 comments:

  1. Oooo and ahhh. I love bright colors and FairTrade. Those steps look inviting. I feel as though I could just walk into the photo and get lost for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, H - I'm looking forward to enjoying all you have to share in 2011!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a couple of fair trade stores in Victoria - Ten Thousand Villages - the best place to shope for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just popped over from my friend's Pondside. So happy to find your lovely blog of Little Sealed Packages. I've added myself as a new follower. It was great to scroll down through your wonderful posts. I'll be back often. Love the shots of your playful foxes.
    Happy New Year! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete