Saturday 19 November 2011

Lakeland Longings 4 - Ennerdale

Just lately, I've been browsing Facebook photos of Mark up in the Lakes and having to work hard to suppress feelings of insane jealousy, so I thought I'd look back at my last Lake District holiday and make you feel jealous too. After all, a jealousy shared is a jealousy halved. Yes?


Ennerdale Water is the most westerly of the Cumbrian Lakes and also one of the most remote. It is a small glacial lake with a length of 2.5 miles, width of 0.75miles and a depth of 148 feet, slightly deeper than it would naturally be due to the construction of a weir which has raised the level to enable Ennerdale Water to be used as a reservoir for the nearby town of Whitehaven.

The walk around the lake is a very enjoyable 9 miles!


This photo is roughly half way, looking back up to the western end. 


... and this final one is from part way up Angler's Crag, the small but distinctive bump, which can be seen on the right of the first photo and on the left of the second.

I think I'm right in saying that the mountain beyond the end of the lake is Pillar, which lies between Ennerdale and Wasdale.

11 comments:

  1. Really beautiful colors and delicious with excellent light. I love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three striking captures each under slightly different lighting. I can quite appreciate why your soul hankers to be there! It really is incredibly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! You know, the top photo could have been taken up Island, on the way to Tofino.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. I'm officially jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Lake District is beautiful. I don't know why I don't visit more often as it's not that far away from here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Cloud photos! Did you photoshop them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Michael,

    Sadly, I don't have access to photoshop. The photos are as taken :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, H. How much longer do you need to stay jealous? ;-) The top image is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photographs. Such beautiful places should be in Yorkshire rather than in Cumbria (or whatever they call it these days)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is beautiful. Love all three photo's of a beautiful countryside.

    ReplyDelete