Wednesday 18 August 2010

A rather-longer-than-intended extra post on top of the proper one for today


This was a surprise pressie from Cheryl at Deckside Thoughts, who was celebrating the upward progress of the Cure JM (Juvenile Myositis) charity from 4th to 3rd in the Pepsi Refresh charts. I'd never heard of Pepsi Refresh, but it's basically one of those things big companies do to tell us how ethical and caring they are - so lets all make the most of it and take advantage!

Pepsi award grants to 32 nominated causes each month. The divisions are as below:

Each month, up to $1.3 million will be awarded as follows: 2 Grants at the $250,000 level; 10 Grants at the $50,000 level; 10 Grants at the $25,000 level; and 10 Grants at the $5,000 level.

How the grants are allocated is entirely up to the voting public. The more votes a cause receives, the higher up the chart it moves until, at the end of the month, out go the grants.

Cure JM is in the running for the $250,000 level award. The good news is that it is no longer 3rd; it's 2nd, which means that, if it can stay there until the end of August, $250,000 dollars will be put to good use, both researching to find a cure for JM and also providing support for those already suffering.

Trying to read up on this condition via the official Cure JM website is like trying to run through treacle; it clogs up my browser every time. However, if you want to know more, this link will give you a good idea of what this nasty affliction does to those unfortunate enough to suffer.

After that, if you want to vote, go here, select Browse Ideas and Vote, sign in (bottom left hand corner) and then make your way to the Current Leaders in the $250,000 category. You have 10 votes/day in all, but only one per email address. I vote twice, once using my email account and once by signing in with Facebook. It takes me about 5 minutes. Why do I vote? Because the 'autoimmune' thing (where your body's own immune system causes damage) is somewhat familiar in a different context - too familiar for me to be able to ignore this!


Now, about this award... There are rules. Why do there always have to be rules? But I've already fulfilled most of them, so here they are..
  • Thank the person who gave you this award. Tick /
  • Copy the award to your blog. Tick /
  • Place a link to their blog. Tick / (BTW - It's actually worth reading too :) )
So far, so good...
  • Name 7 things about you. EEEP! This is where I start to struggle...
1. I drink too much coffee, but only the real stuff (instant coffee isn't) and ALL of the coffee I buy is Fairtrade, for always!

Long pause during which I take a few more swallows from the latest mug of coffee and try to think of number 2...

2. When I began blogging, it was meant to be a casual every-once-in-a-while thing, but I enjoyed it so much that I posted daily. Now I am determined to post every day until I complete a full year (20th Jan 2011).

3. I love high places. I mean REALLY love! Put me on top of something and I'm happy. I spent a good proportion of my childhood up a tree.

4. I am a team player. I function best in the company of like minded people working towards the same goal. I like to belong and feel part of a team of people I trust and respect. I'll go a long way for the sake of a real team.

5. I can sing, but, at age 11, was rejected for my secondary school choir after one line of 'Let Us With a Gladsome Mind'. Way to crush a budding talent!

6. I know absolutely that, through all of the good and the bad which I've experienced, God has been an integral part of my life.

7. I think that anyone still reading this is doing so purely because they are my friend and is wishing it would stop!

Tick / Nearly there. Only one more rule (Thank goodness)
  • Nominate 10 bloggers and leave a link to each one.
Oh CRY!! I have some blogs which I follow and read daily, but I know full well that not all of them want, or even like, getting awards, so this is where I become a rebel...

I sincerely recommend Cheryl's blog at Deckside Thoughts (link is above) because she has a direct and refreshing view of the world. Other blogs I follow and enjoy are listed down the side of my homepage (eyes left). Any and all of them deserve this more than me. The links are there all of the time. Enjoy.

Beyond that I'm leaving it down to you. If you have toiled this far and not been defeated, you deserve a reward for sheer persistence. If you have a mind to, leave a comment and nominate a blog which you think deserves the One Lovely Blog Award.

"Back to you..."


2 comments:

  1. Thank you thank you thank you for giving one hell of a shout for Cure JM! You're da bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post has a bit of everything - a good cause and some interesting insights into H. Glad you have become hooked on blogging and keep it going even after your anniversary target. It is nice reading blogs with a bit of everything.

    ReplyDelete